Bacon roasted brisket with horseradish gravy, rosemary roast carrots and creamed spring cabbage
1kg trimmed brisket of beef
- 8 rashers smoked streaky bacon
- 2 onions, peeled and quartered
- 1 beef stock cube, dissolved in 250ml boiling water
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce
- Bacon roasted brisket
- Wrap the bacon round the beef and wrap in lightly oiled tin foil.
- Place in a casserole and add the onions and stock.
- Put a lid on and cook for 3 hours at 140oc or until meat is fork tender.
- Blend the juices with the horseradish.
- Rest the meat and slice.
- Rosemary roast carrots
- 6 carrots, peeled and cut in half lenghtwise
- 1 tablespoon rosemary leaves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon seasalt
Toss the carrots, rosemary, oil and salt together.
Place in a baking tray and cover with foil.
Roast at 180oc for half an hour. Remove foil and cook until slightly caramelized.
- 1 spring cabbage
- 2 onions, peeled and sliced finely
- 50g butter
- 100ml double cream
- good pinch fresh nutmeg
- few grinds fresh black pepper
- salt to taste
Remove the outer leaves from the cabbage and remove the tough rib in the middle.
Shred finely and wash.
Cook the onions in the butter in a large saucepan until golden and soft.
Add the cabbage, nutmeg, pepper and salt and cook for about 3 minutes or until wilted.
Add the cream and cook for 2 minutes on high heat.